When to Check
It’s important to recognize head lice symptoms so you can catch it early and deal with it before it turns into an extreme infestation.
Sometimes, even thinking about head lice can trigger and itchy head. If your school or daycare centre has notified you of a head lice infestation, you’ll want to check your child, and everyone else in the household, immediately.
Signs of a possible lice infestation:
- Scratching: If your child is scratching their head more than normal, it would be a good idea to do a thorough head screening using a proper lice comb. The most common symptom of head lice is itching. This is means that there is an allergic reaction to the saliva from the lice bites. However, not everyone becomes itchy. Usually 50 per cent of people react this way. Keep in mind it can take a few weeks for this symptom to occur.
- Tickling sensation: Some people may experience a “tickling” sensation from lice bites or from lice crawling through their hair. This is a less severe reaction than the itching, and may not happen to everyone with a lice infestation.
- Sores, rash or scratch marks: If you see sores, a rash, or scratch marks on your child’s head or neck, it can be a sign of an active lice infestation. Children may scratch harder than they need to, which can break the skin and cause sores, a rash, and/or scabs.
- Disruption of sleep patterns: Head lice can make sleep difficult for some youngsters. If your child is having a harder time than usual going to sleep or staying asleep, it could be a sign of a head lice infestation. We recommend keeping a bottle of our active rinse in the medicine cabinet in case lice is found in the middle of the night. The active rinse can stop the lice infestation in its tracks, but remember to still comb out the eggs.
- Irritability: If your child is more irritable than usual, this can also be a sign of a lice infestation. Irritability often coincides with chronic itchiness and sleeplessness.
It’s important to point out that an itchy scalp alone is not always an indication of head lice. The most reliable symptom of an infestation is the presence of a live louse or eggs.
If someone in your household does have a lice infestation, don’t panic. Lice Clinics of Canada can have you lice free in just 90 minutes. We will start with a head screening, and then go over treatment options based on each individual infestation.
Call today to book your appointment.